How to turn your skincare into self-care
08 September 2023 – 3 min read
But we’re all about a holistic approach to beauty. The physical and mental can work beautifully in tandem to deliver results inside and out.
Which is why all of our skincare products were developed to both deliver incredible results AND tap into a soothing, calming sensorial experience during your application. Plus, there are some incredible skin benefits that come with working to reduce stress, which is one of the best reasons to turn your skincare routine into a self-care moment.
So here are some tips to turn your humble bathroom into a world-class spa:
1. Take your timeInstead of blitzing through your skincare routine, take the opportunity to slow down and take advantage of this time to have a breather. As you cleanse, don't rub, rinse and move on. Use slow, circular motions across each area of your face and make sure you’re cleansing for at least 30 seconds. Not only does this gentle movement help promote circulation, but it helps achieve a better cleanse. Then, as you move from serums to moisturisers, again, take the time to apply each step meaningfully with intention.
Use facial massage techniques
You don’t have to be a pro masseuse to reap the benefits of facial massage - even some simple techniques and a few minutes can help promote circulation and lymphatic drainage, which can literally make your skin glow, reduce puffiness and improve the efficacy of your skincare products. Try one of these next time you’re using the Overachiever Balm Cleanser, one of our serums, or the Skin Drench Moisturiser:
- Place your knuckles on your brow bone and gently move up until you reach your hairline, and repeat a few times.
- Press and roll your ring finger under, around and above your eye contour and repeat.
- Use the heels of your hands to massage from the centre of your face outwards. Start on your jawline at your chin, and gently glide your palms out towards your ears. Repeat a few times.
- Use fast (but gentle) upward strokes with both hands (think: hand-over-hand) from your jawline up towards your cheekbone, working quite quickly.
- Create a 'V' shape with your forefinger and middle finger on both hands, then massage in a scissor motion.
Not only can this help with skincare absorption and improve circulation, but facial massage can help the mind and body destress.
2. Make time to maskMasking has huge benefits for skin, but it also forces you to stop, pause, and take a moment to decompress from a busy day. Apply a generous layer of our Overachiever Balm Cleanser and leave it on for about 10-15 minutes, letting its nourishing, strengthening ingredients do their thing, while the scent calms your senses.
3. Practice mindfulness during your routineAs you go through each step of your routine, take notice of the textures of the products, their scents, the way your skin feels as you massage them into and around your skin.
4. Take deep breaths as you apply productsDeep breaths can help you re-centre and calm the mind, so why not take the time during your skincare routine for a few breathing exercises? Whichever step you choose to do this in, rub the product into the palms of your hands, and press your palms to your nose. Hold it there for a few seconds, taking in a slow, deep breath. Count to four as you breathe in. Hold for four seconds, then slowly release the breath for four counts, and hold again for four seconds. Repeat a few times before proceeding with your skincare step.
Those are just a few ways to get started in turning your skincare into self-care. Too often, we work through our skincare routines as if they’re a chore, but we’ve specifically formulated our products to ensure the textures and scents play a huge role in helping you glow.